Thursday, January 27

"joyous" pancakes

We have really been enjoying pancakes at our house lately.  My kids really love the pancakes fro The Joy of Cooking, but I just can't bring myself to put white flour or other refined ingredients in our pancakes.  (We will totally eat it that way at other people's homes though.)  So, here it is, our version of The Joy of Cooking Basic Pancakes.

"Joyous" Pancakes

Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I have been grinding my own on the finest setting - so yummy!)
1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon OHCS salt

In another bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy, non-soy milk)
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 1/2 tablespoons agave
2 large organic, cage-free eggs**
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

**I have made them with chia seeds instead of eggs before.  They have turned out quite tasty, but a little crunchy.  If you want to use chia instead of eggs, mix together 1 tablespoon chia with 3 tablespoons water and let sit for 15 or 20 minutes.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently  whisk them together, mixing just until combined.

Heat griddle to 375.  (I like to let the batter sit a little while while the griddle heats up.)  When the griddle is ready, spoon about 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle for each pancake. I usually use a little less.  I like to make smaller pancakes.  Cook until the top of each pancake is speckled with bubbles and some bubbles have popped open, then turn and cook until the underside is lightly browned.  Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you finish cooking the rest.

Hope you enjoy!!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

When you say chia seeds, do you mean like chia pet?! You can use chia pet seeds to replace eggs?!? This is all new to me

kellie said...

I am so glad you posted this - I was thinking pancakes today, but didn't want to "think" through everything. May have to make them for lunch. Go Chia!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...