Tuesday, March 8

Hot Pink Smoothie

I am soooo love with this smoothie.  My kids like it too.  In fact, last week Mr. Blue had to work late almost every night.  I had planned out our menu, but sometimes it's hard to try new things when it's you and two kids who "hate everything".  One night we were trying to figure out what to eat and I was ready to try the third meal of the week that I would eat by myself with two sulky kids at the table because I won't let them eat anything that is not on the table, and Mr. Orange said, "I just want a smoothie for dinner".  I was floored.  My jaw hit the floor.  I scooped it back up, smiled, and said, "What kind of smoothie do you want?"  Mr. Orange, "One of the pink ones.  I love them.  They are so good they taste like a chocolate smoothie."  (Of course they don't really taste like chocolate, but he does love chocolate smoothies.)  We had pink smoothies and toast for dinner.  It was perfect.  Both kids slurped theirs down and asked for seconds.

So what is this great smoothie that I am telling you about?  Well, it's basically the tastiest treat you can eat for breakfast.  I'll share it with you, but you must go to the links that I am providing you with.  Robyn Openshaw, www.greensmoothiegirl.com, has this recipe, along with many, many, many other delicious recipes in her 12 Steps to Whole Foods program.  The recipe is also included in this recipe book too.  I have the program, and the recipe book, and have tried many of her recipes.  So far, I have only made one recipe that I would never make again and that is only because I can't stand curry.  Mr. Blue loved that dinner.

For her original recipe go here.   To watch a video of Robyn making the Hot Pink Smoothie, go here.

Have you looked at the other links yet?  Good.  Now you can have the recipe.  Mine is a bit different, but not really.

Hot Pink Smoothie
(by Robyn Openshaw)

6 ounces coconut water (can be purchased at Costco)
6 ounces water
1 big handful of carrots, plus a couple more (carrots, not handfuls) for good measure
1/4-1/2 medium raw beet, peeled (I buy a bunch at the store, peel and quarter them, then throw them in the freezer)
1/4 cup raw cashews (can be found at the health food store in the bulk section.  I found cashew pieces at Good Earth today that were cheaper than the whole cashews.)
1/4 cup chopped dates (also found in the bulk section at the health food store.  get the pieces, they're cheaper)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons fresh kefir, or yogurt
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
6-7 fresh strawberries
1 cup frozen mixed berries from Costco

In a blender, blend everything except the strawberries and mixed berries.  (In my Blendtec I usually run it for a smoothie cycle.)  Then add the berries and blend again.  (I will blend it the second time on the xl smoothie cycle.)

I love this smoothie.  It gives me a ton of energy each morning.  It's so yummy that I crave it.  I was even tempted to make it for my book club ladies, but chickened out and made chocolate zucchini cake instead.  Maybe next time.  :)

Make this smoothie.  I promise you will love it.  It makes about a quart, so if that's too much for you, put half of it in the fridge for later and enjoy it the next day.



GreenSmoothieGirl.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...