Friday, March 4

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I hosted book club at my house last night which meant I needed to come up with a dessert.  I decided to experiment with a recipe that I really love.  It looked sort of funny when I pulled it out of the oven and I almost grabbed the boxed brownies from the basement (I have one random box still down there - not sure how it survived the purge a few months ago...), but I decided to serve it anyway.  The ladies loved it, so since it passed their test, I thought I would pass the recipe onto you.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
(Inspired by a recipe from the Davies)

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted*
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup Sucanat
2 eggs, organic cage-free
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup fresh kefir
2 cups grated zucchini
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (pastry or finely ground)
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup chocolate chips  (I used these chocolate chips, but these would work as well)

Place oil, butter, sugar, brown rice syrup, and Sucanat in large bowl and mix until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix until just combined.  Stir in zucchini.  In another bowl whisk together dry ingredients, except for chocolate chips.  Add dry to wet, mix well.  Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.  Cool before cutting.

* I have made these with 1 cup of coconut oil and NO butter and they turned out great.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...