Friday, April 15

Quinoa and Black-eyed Pea Salad

The other day I realized that I still had not gone grocery shopping.  (So hard to do when there are things in the fridge, freezer and pantry.)  I looked at several recipes and I was missing at least one essential ingredient for each one.  What did I do?  I winged it, and dinner turned out pretty well - Mr. Blue had seconds and the kids ate their servings with a promise of crackers if they would finish it.  I'm sure that someday they will appreciate the wacky foods I make them eat.  Someday.....Until then, here's the recipe for your enjoyment.

Quinoa and Black-eyed Pea Salad
{printable recipe}

1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 15 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, diced
1 mango, diced
1/4 -1/2 cup everyday dressing (could use olive oil and lemon juice instead)

Rinse quinoa then combine with 1/2 cup water in saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.  Turn the heat off.  Keep the pan covered and on the burner.  Let sit for 4-7 minutes, or until water has been absorbed.

In bowl combine cooked quinoa, black-eyed peas, avocado, and mango.  Add dressing.  Stir till combined. Serve with salad.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...