Tuesday, March 29

scrub a dub dub

In order to save money for my family the past few months, I have looked into every sort of "make your own" lotions, scrubs, cleaning products, etc.  I have tried the lotion, once I perfect it, I will post a recipe.  Right now I am using the end of a wooden spoon to get it out of the container it's in.  I love the lotion, it's just a bit thick.  I have never liked using bleach to clean with or other harsh chemicals.  I hate the smell and it makes my skin itch just thinking about it.  I have tried some homemade cleaners, but the jury is still out on some of them.  Besides, I still have some of my favorite "green" cleaners that I need to use up.  More on that in a later post.

That brings me to scrubs.  As in facial scrubs.  I have a scrub that I love, love, love.  Unfortunately, the piggy bank doesn't allow me to buy it right now.  I could go to Walmart and buy something there, but every time I try a grocery store brand facial lotion or scrub my skin goes NUTS!  I found a recipe for this scrub in several different places online.  Here's my version and I am {in love} with it.

Brown Sugar Scrub

1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Mix together in a small sealable container and keep in the shower.  

Make sure your brown sugar is "fresh". I used some the first time I made it that was pretty hard and it about tore my face off.  I added bread to the brown sugar and now the scrub is really pretty gentle.  I also dry off my face and hands before applying so that the sugar doesn't "melt" immediately.  I rinse with water and then wipe my face with a washcloth.  You could also use this as a body scrub.  After my shower I use a little bit of coconut oil to help moisturize and that's it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sounds nice. I'm going to have to try it.

kellie said...

used it this morning - definitely a new favorite!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...