Thursday, April 26

Track

Over the past few years we have enrolled (or tried to) Mr. Orange in various sports.  He has just not been interested in them.  This year, instead of taking a screaming child to soccer practice, I decided to get him involved in the things he loves: swimming, running, biking and climbing.  He'll take swim lessons this summer, we love family bike rides, and he earns trips to the climbing gym.  That left running.  Earlier this year I signed up for a half marathon and Mr. Orange said he wanted to do the Kids Mile.  He has been "practicing his running at recess" ever since.

Last week a flyer came home for track conditioning and track & field.  I described track and field to him and asked if he would like to do the conditioning class.  A few days later (after the deadline) he said he would like to do it.  I called, there was a spot open, and I signed him up.  Tuesday afternoon, first day of track, we pull into the driveway after school and Mr. Orange says, "Um, Mom?  I, uh, I decided that I really don't want to do track."
Me:  You don't want to do track?
Mr. Orange:  No, I don't think I do.
Me:  Mr. Orange, I have already signed you up.  Do you think you could at least try it today?  Just see what it is like?
Mr. Orange: (several minutes later) Okay Mom.  I'll go.  I'll try it.

Guess what?  He loved it.  Today he was totally excited to go.  He had to run a timed 200 yard dash and a timed mile.  He did his mile in 13:39.  I was so proud of him!  There were a few kids that cried during some of the (four) laps, and others that huffed and puffed their way around.  Some were really fast!  Mr. Orange just took off, walked when he needed to, ran when he wanted to, and did a really great job.  Psst, don't tell anyone, but I think he might really like this track thing.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

I had my first 2 boys try everything and they ended up as swimmers. They did like basketball, soccer and track, but by high school swim won!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...